Programs missing after update.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Mar 16 08:42:16 UTC 2014

Stephen wrote:
> On 14-03-15 02:38 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > First I used a 12.10 system to find out which packages from the ppa
> > would be installed if I select gcdemu - this is the result: cdemu-
> > client, cdemu-daemon, gcdemu, libmirage7, vhba-dkms. So these are
> > the packages I want to build on the 12.04 system.
> >
> > On tne 12.04 system I added the ppa-file
> > "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cdemu- ppa-quantal.list" from the quantal
> > system. The important line is this:
> >
> > deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
> >
> > where the release name is quantal instead of precise (because there
> > are no packages for precise).
> >
> > Then I used the commands
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo build-dep cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms
> > mkdir gcdemu
> > cd gcdemu
> > apt-get source cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms
> >
> > The result were several directories with the source for the
> > individual packages. In each of those directories I issued the
> > command
> >
> > fakeroot debian/rules binary
> >
> > The command failed in the libmirage directory. But due to the link
> > Oli posted earlier today, I found that I had to change some of the
> > files "debian/*.install" and replace the "usr/lib/*/whatever" with
> > "usr/lib/whatever".
> >
> > Finally I installed all of the .deb packages which were built in the
> > top directory. There was still an unmet dependency, so the command
> >
> > sudo apt-get install -f
> >
> > installed the missing rest.

> I'm lost and frustrated. From the instructions above I get a message
> that tells me that deb-src command not found.

Well, hopefully we can resolve the problems to overcome your
frustration. "deb-src command not found" tells me that you probably
tried to run that line as a command which should be in your
sources.list. I'll try to explain it a little better:

>From adding the cdemu ppa you should have a file
"/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cdemu-ppa-precise.list". Edit that file with
the command

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cdemu-ppa-precise.list

and change it so that the contents becomes these two lines:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu quantal main

Then run the command

sudo apt-get update

and I see right now that the next command had a typo (sorry it was
written from my notes on paper not by copy & paste) it should be:

sudo apt-get build-dep cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms

The rest of the commands should be without typo, so it continues with

mkdir gcdemu
cd gcdemu
apt-get source cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms

See the quoted text above for the rest of the instructions.

Nils