Programs missing after update.

Stephen stephen_o at bell.net
Sun Mar 16 05:25:53 UTC 2014

On 14-03-15 02:38 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> On 14-03-15 06:50 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> I just had a look at the source files and I think it shouldn't be a
>>> too big problem to compile. Can you explain what didn't work for
>>> you? Then maybe we can help you compile the program.
>> This is the error I get when I try to compile it.
>>
>> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:266
>>    (message):
>>      A required package was not found
>>    Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>      /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:320
>>    (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
>>      CMakeLists.txt:25 (pkg_check_modules)
> That's really not a helpful error message. As it wasn't even clear which
> of the necessary packages produced the error, I went ahead and built the
> packages. This is how it worked:
>
> First I used a 12.10 system to find out which packages from the ppa
> would be installed if I select gcdemu - this is the result: cdemu-
> client, cdemu-daemon, gcdemu, libmirage7, vhba-dkms. So these are the
> packages I want to build on the 12.04 system.
>
> On tne 12.04 system I added the ppa-file "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cdemu-
> ppa-quantal.list" from the quantal system. The important line is this:
>
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
>
> where the release name is quantal instead of precise (because there are
> no packages for precise).
>
> Then I used the commands
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo build-dep cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms
> mkdir gcdemu
> cd gcdemu
> apt-get source cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu libmirage7 vhba-dkms
>
> The result were several directories with the source for the individual
> packages. In each of those directories I issued the command
>
> fakeroot debian/rules binary
>
> The command failed in the libmirage directory. But due to the link Oli
> posted earlier today, I found that I had to change some of the files
> "debian/*.install" and replace the "usr/lib/*/whatever" with
> "usr/lib/whatever".
>
> Finally I installed all of the .deb packages which were built in the top
> directory. There was still an unmet dependency, so the command
>
> sudo apt-get install -f
>
> installed the missing rest.
>

> Nils

I'm grateful for the help I've been getting, and I'm sorry that I
couldn't find the resolution on the internet. I came here as a last resort.

I've never had apps just be removed without any notification before.
Even when a ppa doesn't support an app any more it doesn't remove it
from the system. In my experience it just doesn't update.

I'm lost and frustrated. From the instructions above I get a message
that tells me that deb-src command not found.

The error messages that I'm getting are meaningless to me. When I put
them in my messages I'm told that the error messages are no good.

Thanks;
Stephen Oulton