Erasing a CD-RW easily

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 20:06:48 UTC 2014

2014/1/5 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>

> On 5 January 2014 18:48, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know that I have seen instructions somewhere how to do it, but I can't
> > find them now.
>
> Ahh, I see.
>
> Does this help?
>

> http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/one-click-erase-of-cd-rw-dvd-rw-rewritable-discs-in-ubuntu/

No, sorry. I read that already and it's written in 2010, that is before
Unity existed.

> Question:
>
> Do you mean that "erase disk" was a context menu option for a *desktop
> icon* in GNOME 2?

Well, it was a long time since I used Gnome 2, maybe I remember it all
wrong. Before installing Ubuntu 12.04 i had Ubuntu 10.10. My wife's
computer has Ubuntu 10.04, so I experimented a bit with it and it's not
there, so I guess that it was a Ubuntu 10.10 feature OR that I remember it
wrong… :(

Anyway, there is an ”Erase disc…” option if I right click the Cdrom icon in
Nautilus (I found out a couple of minutes ago…), standing in the /media
folder. Surprisingly that option is also available in Ubuntu 12.04, so no
change there, but at least I know that option now… When clicking it, the
Erase dialogue of Brasero is opened, which is OK.

Still, it would be nice if I could just right click the CD icon in the
launcher and get the same option. Right now there are only two options:
”Open” and ”Eject”. It would be nice if there also was an ”Erase” option
when an erasable disk is loaded, and as I said, I'm pretty sure it can be
done somehow, but I can't find those instructions any longer…

> Are you right-clicking the *launcher* icon or the *desktop* icon?

My question is about the launcher icon.

> I would not expect this to work from the launcher, no. But from the
> desktop, if it used to before, perhaps yes. The desktop is managed by
> Nautilus; the launcher is not.
>
> If you do not have desktop icons, the easiest way to re-enable them
> (that I know of) is to install "Unity Tweak Tool" from the
> repositories. Then it is under System|Desktop icons.
>
> Do this, reboot if necessary, insert a disk and then try
> right-clicking on the disk's icon. I don't know if this will do what
> you want, but it sounds like it might be closer.

That's not what I'm looking for, but of course I can try it.

Yes, that works, but I would prefer not having more icons on my desktop; I
already have too many of them…
But as a workaround it's OK until I find something better. Maybe I should
ask my question to the Ubuntu developers. They want Ubuntu to be easy to
use without complicating things for the user, don't they?

Johnny Rosenberg