14.04 - keyboard loosing configuration

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 11:51:22 UTC 2014

On 6 December 2014 at 11:33, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, thanks Nils.  I suggest whichever of us sees the problem again
>> first they file a bug using
>>
>> ubuntu-bug unity-settings-daemon
>>
>> Probably best to wait till the bug is 'active' as the bug report will
>> then include logs that may be helpful.
>>
>> As a matter of interest does anyone else who is seeing the problem
>> have an issue with hotkeys such as the left Windows key not bringing
>> up the Dash Search?  As a permanent problem I mean, not just when the
>> keyboard goes silly.
>>
>> Strangely, searching for unity-sessions-daemon in launchpad does not
>> find any reports at all, which is a bit unusual.
>
> I haven't been following this thread but don't you mean "unity-settings-daemon"?
>
> In which "System Settings" app do you set this? "Text Entry"? "Language"?

It is not seen (by me at least) in the settings at all, the keyboard
is still shown as UK but it is not performing as a UK keyboard, but as
US.  In fact when I click the Input Source icon in the top panel and
select Keyboard Layout Chart it still shows Shift 3 as £, but when I
use that key it generates the wrong character.  In fact I only have
one keyboard layout enabled on that machine.

> When you hit this again
>
> - run "locale" and "localectl" to check whether their output
> corresponds to your settings

Good plan.

> - check that you still have the right settings in "System Settings"
>
> - check that gconf/dconf has the right settings; I'm not too sure how
> to go about this because I haven't used gsettings for a while but
> perhaps run "gsettings list-schemas" and grep for [U|u]nity or for
> [C|c]anonical and then if you see a schema (scheme?) that might set
> the keyboard or the locale, you can list its keys and their values
> recursively. I can't remember the gsettings command for this but it'll
> be in "man gsettings".

I did have a go at looking for this (using dconf-editor) but did not
manage to find anything that looked particularly relevant.  I will try
again if/when it fails again.

Colin