Logwatch stopped working after I did something stupid

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 22 20:52:58 UTC 2014

On Aug 22, 2014 12:20 PM, "Knute Johnson" <ubuntu at knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> So I was trying to clean up my /var/log directory and remove some of the
older .gz files and I mistyped the rm command and erased all the files.
Now logwatch doesn't send me an email any more, I'm assuming because there
are no log files any more.  I thought they would just regenerate themselves
but the base file must have to be there before the services write to the
logs.  Is there a script or some simple way to recreate the base files?

Probably because the inodes are still allocated. Try to restart rsyslog (or
whatever it is your syslog utility).

Log files are created on demand.

..C..