Sharing a USB printer in 12.04 - broken?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Apr 4 00:01:37 UTC 2014

Hello Eric,

Thursday, April 3, 2014, 1:36:19 PM, Eric wrote:

> On 04/03/2014 11:43 AM, rikona wrote:
>> I installed a USB printer in 12.04, but I don't seem to be able to
>> share it with Win boxes. Prints OK on the 12.04 box. I saw a comment
>> on the net that USB printer sharing with Win is broken in 12.04, and
>> won't be fixed. Is that true? If not, how does one get that to happen?
>> Anyone here actually doing that in 12.04?
>>
>> Considering a net prn adapter as a workaround. Is this the best way to
>> go?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>>   rikona
>>

> How are you trying to share the printer?

A few ways - GUI, config samba, etc

> Have you tried CUPS with the web interface?

Yes

> I've found that works very well for cross-platform by connecting to
> the URL of the printer from Windows.

Did you do that from ***12.04*** with a **USB printer**? Win says
'can't connect'. Web says this fn is broken in 12.04 for **USB
printers** - apparently a very narrow and specific problem...

> I.E http://192.168.99.240:631/printers/Laser_Printer

Yep - http://loalhost:631/printers/Laser_Printer is more generic.

Worked well before 12.04...

Thanks for the reply,