Sharing a USB printer in 12.04 - broken?

Eric Izoita mailbro at thisisthebig.com
Thu Apr 3 20:36:19 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 11:43 AM, rikona wrote:
> I installed a USB printer in 12.04, but I don't seem to be able to
> share it with Win boxes. Prints OK on the 12.04 box. I saw a comment
> on the net that USB printer sharing with Win is broken in 12.04, and
> won't be fixed. Is that true? If not, how does one get that to happen?
> Anyone here actually doing that in 12.04?
>
> Considering a net prn adapter as a workaround. Is this the best way to
> go?
>
> thanks,
>
>   rikona

How are you trying to share the printer? Have you tried CUPS with the
web interface? I've found that works very well for cross-platform by
connecting to the URL of the printer from Windows.
I.E http://192.168.99.240:631/printers/Laser_Printer
Also nice because you don't need specific drivers on the client machine,
CUPS will accept generic PS/PCL/whatever drivers.
~Eric