Probably stupid question, but

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 08:37:43 UTC 2013

>>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=220376
>>> http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2009-07-19_Upgraded-to-Jaunty_-Network-Manager-Still-Sucks-Balls_-2_6_30_1-not-that-stable_-and-Comcast-Business-Exceeding-Expectations.html
>>> http://saveandrewgarib.com/?articleid=221
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1359938.html
>>>
>>> But please note that all of those links are a few years old.
>>
>> As you say, these are a few years old. IIRC during that time period I
>> was running ubuntu and had problems with nm. Wound up going to wicd.
>> A year or so ago I dumped ubuntu because I got a belly full of
>> Marvelous Mark and went to debian. It installed nm which worked
>> perfectly and does to this day.
>>>

>>> What seems to have happened is that more and more people used Linux
>>> on laptops, and there was no tool for properly handling wifi
>>> connections. NM did that bit pretty well, so it was added to
>>> Linux... but it seems they forgot that NM was maybe not the best
>>> thing for some non-wifi applications.
>>>
>>> NM seems to have matured now, and it is probably a great tool,
>>> unifying network setup in all the different distros.
>>> Maybe it was introduced too soon.
>>> Or maybe we should just accept that such a unification process will
>>> always burn a minority before becoming an improvement for (almost)
>>> everyone.
>>
>> That's true for almost all software. The devs aren't mind readers and
>> can't anticipate everyones' hardware or what tweaks they have applied to
>> the os.

So someone gives Mark Shuttleworth a nickname and you have a hissy-fit
but someone swears at me [1] (I didn't care until this email of
yours); and ... nothing... It looks like apple-polishing to me.

Great moderating!

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2013-September/271654.html