Probably stupid question, but

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Sep 5 20:12:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 09:51:16AM +0200, Patrick Asselman wrote:
> On 2013-09-04 22:39, Robert Holtzm wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:38:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> >       ........snip.......
> >>
> >>I am 100% with Patrick on this. NM is NOT ready for prime time,
> >>chase it
> >>out of the barn with a load of buckshot in its behind & don't
> >>let it back
> >>on the property until it can play nice.
> >
> >I accept the fact that you've had problems w/ NM, but how do you
> >account
> >for the thousands of users who use it successfully every day? If it
> >were wide spread I would think there would be a flood of messages on
> >this list and on the forums. But then what do I know?
>
> For your amusement, here is the result of 5 seconds on Google:
> http://cholla.mmto.org/computers/linux/nm.html
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=220376
> http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2009-07-19_Upgraded-to-Jaunty_-Network-Manager-Still-Sucks-Balls_-2_6_30_1-not-that-stable_-and-Comcast-Business-Exceeding-Expectations.html
> http://saveandrewgarib.com/?articleid=221
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1359938.html
>
> But please note that all of those links are a few years old.

As you say, these are a few years old. IIRC during that time period I
was running ubuntu and had problems with nm. Wound up going to wicd.
A year or so ago I dumped ubuntu because I got a belly full of
Marvelous Mark and went to debian. It installed nm which worked
perfectly and does to this day.

> What seems to have happened is that more and more people used Linux
> on laptops, and there was no tool for properly handling wifi
> connections. NM did that bit pretty well, so it was added to
> Linux... but it seems they forgot that NM was maybe not the best
> thing for some non-wifi applications.
>
> NM seems to have matured now, and it is probably a great tool,
> unifying network setup in all the different distros.
> Maybe it was introduced too soon.
> Or maybe we should just accept that such a unification process will
> always burn a minority before becoming an improvement for (almost)
> everyone.

That's true for almost all software. The devs aren't mind readers and
can't anticipate everyones' hardware or what tweaks they have applied to
the os.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped