File association configuration files (Ubuntu 12.04)?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 19:31:49 UTC 2013

Since I fail to change my file associations for flac files, I thought
that I could maybe do it manually by editing some text files,
somewhere…

Here's what happened:
Since a while ago I had a few scripts (made by myself) that I
associated with FLAC files. None of them are the default application,
but I can open a FLAC file with those scripts by right clicking the
file → Open with → MyHomeMadeScript.

Now, those scripts were located in a folder called something like
~/.MyScriptCollection, but recently I moved them them to ~/bin
instead, making it easier to run them from a terminal, not needing to
enter the whole path every time.

That broke my file associations, however, since the associated scripts
no longer exists, at least not at the old place.

So I right clicked a FLAC file → Properties → Open with → Right click
one of the scripts → Forget association.
The association was removed. Good. But then I did some more clicking
back and forth and after a while the Forget association didn't work
any more… Not even after restarting Ubuntu. So I guess there is some
problem of some kind, maybe something went wrong in some configuration
file somewhere.

I searched a bit and found those desktop files at
/usr/share/applications, but there were only things that I installed
from the software center and things that were installed by default. So
I guess I need to look for desktop files for my own scripts somewhere
else. I also looked in ~/.local/share/applications, but no luck.

All I want to do is:
    – Remove all associations to my scripts for FLAC files.
    – Re-associate FLAC files with the same scripts, but with their
current path (I believe the file name itself would be enough, since I
put the scripts in ~/bin, which is included in my PATH environment
variable. That was the whole point by moving those scripts.
    – Learn something…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ