File association configuration files (Ubuntu 12.04)?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Mar 21 20:16:22 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 03:31 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> All I want to do is:
>      – Remove all associations to my scripts for FLAC files.
>      – Re-associate FLAC files with the same scripts, but with their
> current path (I believe the file name itself would be enough, since I
> put the scripts in ~/bin, which is included in my PATH environment
> variable. That was the whole point by moving those scripts.
>      – Learn something…

Note:  I'm using Gnome 2.x and XFCE, there might be some differences
with Gnome 3

Right click on a flac file, choose Properties.

Click on Open With tab.

If your old script is in the list, find and Hightlight it, however, the
'radio button' must not be selected.  (If it is, click on the radio
button of another application, it doesn't matter what it is.).  When
your old script is highlighted, but *not* the chosen default app, you
should be able to press the "Remove" button, and it will be zapped.

(Anyone who works on gnome reading this??  I think the clever UI plan
wasn't thought all the way through.)

Now Click on "Add" button.  Expand the "Use a Custom Command"  Type in
the full path to your script (or use the Browse button to find it with a
file browser.) Click the Add button when your done.  Your new script
should now be in the list of applications associated with Flac File
type.  Click on the radio button to make it the default.