Invisible Windows

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 19:05:15 UTC 2013

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 28 June 2013 13:29:00 Nils Kassube did opine:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Friday 28 June 2013 07:47:08 GaryT did opine:
> >
> > The desktop part of 10.04 has reached EOL, so I would suggest to
> > upgrade to a current Ubuntu version.
>
> GaryT might be able to, but ATM, I am stuck because all 3 of these
> machines have to be able to run LinuxCNC,

I know about your problem with LinuxCNC - that's why I didn't mention it
on your GS thread. :)

But maybe one of your machines isn't busy with CNC all day and you could
make it a dual boot setup with a current Ubuntu version running for
"normal" desktop work.

> Kmail isn't helped by my having a libsoprano based index cache in the
> 7.5 gigabyte range.  My email corpus goes back 11+ years.

If you finally move to a new Ubuntu version, be very careful with kmail.
The new kmail2 version is not really finished (IMHO). The standard
version coming with 12.04 wasn't usable for me, but the version from the
kubuntu-backports-ppa is good enough. Therefore I would suggest to try
the migration with a copy of your files first and do the real migration
when you are confident that you know how to do it right.

Nils