Invisible Windows

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 28 21:28:47 UTC 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 17:06:44 Nils Kassube did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > The desktop part of 10.04 has reached EOL, so I would suggest to
> > > upgrade to a current Ubuntu version.
> >
> > GaryT might be able to, but ATM, I am stuck because all 3 of these
> > machines have to be able to run LinuxCNC,
>
> I know about your problem with LinuxCNC - that's why I didn't mention it
> on your GS thread. :)
>
> But maybe one of your machines isn't busy with CNC all day and you could
> make it a dual boot setup with a current Ubuntu version running for
> "normal" desktop work.
>
> > Kmail isn't helped by my having a libsoprano based index cache in the
> > 7.5 gigabyte range.  My email corpus goes back 11+ years.
>
> If you finally move to a new Ubuntu version, be very careful with kmail.
> The new kmail2 version is not really finished (IMHO). The standard
> version coming with 12.04 wasn't usable for me, but the version from the
> kubuntu-backports-ppa is good enough. Therefore I would suggest to try
> the migration with a copy of your files first and do the real migration
> when you are confident that you know how to do it right.
>

> Nils

I've heard of KMail2's teething problems, and would rather not have to deal
with that, or the authors attitude either, so in self defense I've written
several scripts that do an end run around kmails single threadedness.  So I
have claws sitting here too.  Unforch, I converted most of kmails mailfile
setup to maildir years ago when it fell over and trashed a lot of my old
mail when that particular file went above 2Gb.  On a 64 bit machine,
running SMP and PAE built kernels, that little hiccup was totally
inexcusable, shame on kmail.

But, that also means no one can tell me how to do a wholesale import of
this email corpus (something north of 20Gb) so it automatically deals with
maildir or mailfile formats as it proceeds.  Several people here have
suggested methods, each and every one carefully ignoring that 3/4ths of
this is in maildir format.  Its not their fault if they do not know, but
its of limited utility to me without that ability.

I'd just setup claws and email it to me, unforch, "mail" is also broken
here, and I cannot even send me an email using /usr/bin/mail\Mail\mailx.
The closest it comes to working was I did once, when sending me a message
as amanda, find a dead.letter in the /home/amanda directory.  I haven't
found any other trace of the other 5 or 6 test msgs I've sent, both as
amanda and as me.

And I asked a mail question, trying to define that I was actually using
/usr/bin/mail, and the only reply I've seen appears to be referring to
sendmail, and thats yet another differently spotted critter I also know
very little about.  Sigh...

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
After the last of 16 mounting screws has been removed from an access
cover, it will be discovered that the wrong access cover has been removed.
         law-abiding citizens.