system does not boot install cd

Damon Cassell dcassell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 15:55:04 UTC 2013

I think you said there was still an older version of Ubuntu on the system.
Not sure if that Ubuntu install has the "lshw" command installed by default
but this will tell you the make/model of the optical drive and it's
capabilities.

For example, on my Fedora box:

        *-cdrom
             product: DVD_RW ND-3550A
             vendor: _NEC
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi at 4:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/cdrom
             logical name: /dev/sr0
             version: 1.05
             serial: [
             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

I believe on Ubuntu the model of the optical drive should also be reported
on /var/log/dmesg.

Damon