Laser printer use question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 14 10:49:25 UTC 2013

On Friday 14 June 2013 06:28:51 Nils Kassube did opine:

> Patrick Asselman wrote:
> > On 2013-06-13 22:26, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > HP and I are on the outs. I was explicitly told by them that my
> > > multi-function printer was "entry level" and that I shouldn't expect
> > > it to last more than a year. What?? I bet my old Teletype from 1978
> > > still runs. :) Ric
> >
> > I hope you told them you would switch to another brand and tell all
> > your family and friends about how crappy HP's support is?
> >
> > Vote with your wallet people, it is the only thing big companies like
> > HP listen to.
>
> I think they wouldn't care because the other companies are as bad. For
> each person who isn't happy with HP and now buys from e.g. Epson, there
> is an unhappy Epson customer who now buys from HP. The problem is that
> there are only a few printer manufacturers and all of them build the
> same low quality machines. Each of them loses a certain number of
> customers to the "competition" and they gain the same number of
> customers from the "competition".
>

> Nils

And both of them have lost me as customers.  I was a fan of epson for a
long time, but I have a 2 year old NX515 sitting here that is ONLY a
scanner, if you don't put $100 USD thru it in inks a month it will plug up
and die, and after looking at my ink usage and finding it to be in excess
of $500 year.  So an older, also epson flat bed scanner got carried to the
garage about 10 days ago, to make room for a Brother HL3170CDW.  Installed
the Brother drivers, had to update the firmware, and on a USB-2.0 hub, its
about 1/3rd the speed they claimed, but everything works, including
automatic duplexing of multipage jobs.  I haven't found a place, haven't
looked that hard yet, to put the binding 'ditch' on the other side as its
currently on the right edge of odd pages.  Color is quite good, not up to
the original epson C82 I used for wedding pictures for several years, but
even for photo printing its as good as the drugstore printers.

Cost me about 750 USD by the time I'd brought a full set of hi-cap toner
spares too, but if its going to run like an HL2140 B&W printer I also use
for text, those carts should cover the next 20 reams of 24lb dead tree I
buy.  It could even out last me as I am 78 & diabetic, so my warranty
expired years ago.

Brother's linux drivers are pretty good, but you do have to hunt for them.

It could be that my speed problem is a lack of USB-3.0 on this old phenom
powered box.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views