Ubuntu Forums - FYI

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Jul 24 14:19:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-24 15:58, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 08:45 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
>> No. I am saying "How do I know?"  There is a lot of badly done
>> crypto
>> out there.  It is not easy to do it well.  How can you tell the
>> difference between the good stuff and "slapping a sticker on"? It
>> matters.
>>
>> Similarly, I'm not saying the next person I see on the street is
>> dishonest, but neither do I know whether he or she can be trusted to
>> return a large loan of cash on a mere smile and handshake.  How do I
>> know?
>
> Me informing people about LastPass after a 1.8 million user breach is
> hardly the context in which to make general, philosophical points
> raising doubts in that you should never trust anything on the
> internet.  There's a certain level of human common sense that doesn't
> need over hyping.  It hurts the actual discussion and is pointless.
>
> If you really judge an established service like LastPass the same way
> you judge the stranger on the bus next to you, we have bigger
> problems.
>
> I need to sleep.  I won't respond to this thread period now.  Feel
> free to email me directly if you want.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it was your statement about
the flawlessness of LastPass that triggered my critical response. It's a
weakness I have... if someone says "it cannot be done" I will at least
have a look at it.

It is true that people are too wary of strangers on the bus. The world
would be a better place if we could all just trust each other a little
bit more. I blame the 1% for causing this ;-)

Nevertheless, your tip on LastPass is appreciated. I might even go and
use it myself, for some of my passwords.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman