Ubuntu Forums - FYI

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 17:46:47 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 06:02 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> On 07/24/2013 04:42 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:
>> The problem remains that they are an American company, bound by American
>> law. The infamous Patriot Act can force companies to deliver data to the
>> government unencrypted (this may be accompanied with a "gag order",
>> preventing them to say anything about this).
>>
>> This *may* mean that they have a backdoor in their software (javascript
>> or plugin) so that they can comply with this law. If that is the case,
>> the security is only as good as the security of that back door. (Even if
>> they were not American, you would have to trust that there is no
>> backdoor or flaw in their software.)
>
> Patrick, I genuinely don't mean to be rude.  However, this is the
> ignorant, tinfoil hat response I was referring to.

How so? HOW do you know exactly what these people are up to? Either you
really have no clue, or you are posing as a shill for these people.
Unless you work for them, how can you say that without a doubt that they
are trustworthy to begin with? You cannot.

It might be better to take the word "ignorant" out of our little online
disputes. No one has one clue what others in this forum know and do not
know. For all we know, we could be calling a Nobel Prize winner or a
Master Double-Naught Spy "ignorant". Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /