12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 9 17:10:02 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 12:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2013 12:47:03 Dave Woyciesjes did opine:
>
>> On 07/09/2013 12:21 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Tuesday 09 July 2013 11:58:53 Dave Woyciesjes did opine:

>>> all...
>>>
>>> Chuckle.  Hi Dave. :)
>>
>> 	Howdy... :) Just giving you some props. Seems some folks don't
>> appreciate your lovely fuzzy demeanor & brains.
>>
>>> That isn't quite true, gui's are nice if they expand the horizons of
>>> what can be done with them. Kde gives you a menu with hundreds of
>>> ways to skin a cat.  So did Gnome. Unity, which seems based on a list
>>> of favorites someplace, and while I assume there is a facility to
>>> allow that to be expanded, one would wind up with a main window that
>>> resembles my next door neighbors W8 machine with so many icons
>>> covering the picture of her grandchildren that she has to move some
>>> of them to get to the icon for the one she wants to run.  That very
>>> quickly degenerates from eye candy into "Butt Ugly".
>>>
>>> My 2 cents of course.  That won't buy much today of course.
>>>
>>> I suppose a windows escapee would feel right at home though.  But IMO,
>>> we shouldn't be striving to be "like windows", but better, much
>>> better than windows.  This is the sort of work screens we had on the
>>> amiga's running AmigaDOS3.2 in the 90's, but now its July 2013  Can
>>> we not make some real, usability progress other than increased color
>>> depth in 20 years?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>
>> 	From using Gnome3 for a while now, I'd say that Gnome3 is the way
>> forward; but that's my opinion. Others prefer Unity. KDE, on the other
>> hand, still seems a bit behind.
>
> The gnome based installs on the machinery computers are very usable.  I
> could easily live with that.  How does the gnome of a 10.04.4 install
> compare to gnome3?

	Gnome2 is in Ubuntu 10.04. Gnome3/Gnome Shell came in with IIRC Ubuntu
12.04. And it's quite different from Gnome2. It's like Unity....
Personally, I call it Unity improved.

> FWIW, the kde in the stock kubuntu 12.04.2 seems to not be very well
> configured and would need some tweaking. I've not had to do a tremendous
> amount of tweaking on the machinery 10.4.4 installs, its reasonably well
> polished, or is at least when its installed from the respun linuxcnc cd.
>
> Can you pop up a bash shell with the ctrl-alt-t combo?  That is at least as
> handy as bottled beer.

	Yep. Or whack the Windows key, type term, then choose between Terminal,
UXTerm, or XTerm. :)

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818