12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 9 16:54:31 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 09 July 2013 12:47:03 Dave Woyciesjes did opine:

> On 07/09/2013 12:21 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> 	Yep, that's Gene. He doesn't seem to have a need for a gui at
> >
> > all...
> >
> > Chuckle.  Hi Dave. :)
>
> 	Howdy... :) Just giving you some props. Seems some folks don't
> appreciate your lovely fuzzy demeanor & brains.
>
> > That isn't quite true, gui's are nice if they expand the horizons of
> > what can be done with them. Kde gives you a menu with hundreds of
> > ways to skin a cat.  So did Gnome. Unity, which seems based on a list
> > of favorites someplace, and while I assume there is a facility to
> > allow that to be expanded, one would wind up with a main window that
> > resembles my next door neighbors W8 machine with so many icons
> > covering the picture of her grandchildren that she has to move some
> > of them to get to the icon for the one she wants to run.  That very
> > quickly degenerates from eye candy into "Butt Ugly".
> >
> > My 2 cents of course.  That won't buy much today of course.
> >
> > I suppose a windows escapee would feel right at home though.  But IMO,
> > we shouldn't be striving to be "like windows", but better, much
> > better than windows.  This is the sort of work screens we had on the
> > amiga's running AmigaDOS3.2 in the 90's, but now its July 2013  Can
> > we not make some real, usability progress other than increased color
> > depth in 20 years?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> 	From using Gnome3 for a while now, I'd say that Gnome3 is the way
> forward; but that's my opinion. Others prefer Unity. KDE, on the other
> hand, still seems a bit behind.

The gnome based installs on the machinery computers are very usable.  I
could easily live with that.  How does the gnome of a 10.04.4 install
compare to gnome3?

FWIW, the kde in the stock kubuntu 12.04.2 seems to not be very well
configured and would need some tweaking. I've not had to do a tremendous
amount of tweaking on the machinery 10.4.4 installs, its reasonably well
polished, or is at least when its installed from the respun linuxcnc cd.

Can you pop up a bash shell with the ctrl-alt-t combo?  That is at least as
handy as bottled beer.

Thanks Dave.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)