12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:43:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 12:14 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> You should be fine:
>>>
>>>      avi at fantastic:~$ apt-get --simulate remove network-manager
>>> resolvconf
>>>      NOTE: This is only a simulation!
>>>            apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
>>>            Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
>>>            so don't depend on the relevance to the real current
>>> situation!
>>>      Reading package lists... Done
>>>      Building dependency tree
>>>      Reading state information... Done
>>>      The following packages were automatically installed and are no
>>> longer required:
>>>        libllvm3.1:i386 linux-headers-3.8.0-18
>>> linux-headers-3.8.0-18-generic linux-image-3.8.0-18-generic
>>> linux-image-extra-3.8.0-18-generic
>>>      Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
>>>      The following packages will be REMOVED
>>>        network-manager network-manager-gnome resolvconf ubuntu-minimal
>>>      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 66 not upgraded.
>>>      Remv network-manager-gnome [0.9.8.0-1ubuntu2]
>>>      Remv network-manager [0.9.8.0-0ubuntu6]
>>>      Remv ubuntu-minimal [1.299]
>>>      Remv resolvconf [1.69ubuntu1]
>>>      avi at fantastic:~$
>>
>> Is advising people to remove ubuntu-minimal (especially as a list
>> admin) appropriate? If you don't want to use resolvconf on a system,
>> disable it. If the few KB/MB that it takes up disturb you, use equivs
>> to create a dummy replacement resolvconf package.
>
> Advising most people to remove it? No, not a good idea. But Gene H. is not
> most people. Also, he asked a specific question, and got the answer.

1) I'm sure that Google differentiates between advice given to Gene
and advice given to someone else...

2) Advising anyone to remove ubuntu-minimal is silly.

3) I don't see how you (and one other person in this thread) think
that Gene knows what he's doing when he could only fix a networking
problem by copying some files over from another installation rather
than finding the root cause and correcting the problem directly.