12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 9 17:07:07 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 12:43 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
> <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Is advising people to remove ubuntu-minimal (especially as a list
>>> admin) appropriate? If you don't want to use resolvconf on a system,
>>> disable it. If the few KB/MB that it takes up disturb you, use equivs
>>> to create a dummy replacement resolvconf package.
>>
>> Advising most people to remove it? No, not a good idea. But Gene H. is not
>> most people. Also, he asked a specific question, and got the answer.
>
> 1) I'm sure that Google differentiates between advice given to Gene
> and advice given to someone else...

	Fair wise-crack on me.

> 2) Advising anyone to remove ubuntu-minimal is silly.

	For most situations & people, sure.

> 3) I don't see how you (and one other person in this thread) think
> that Gene knows what he's doing when he could only fix a networking
> problem by copying some files over from another installation rather
> than finding the root cause and correcting the problem directly.

	Not sure about the other person, but I can vouch for his skills by
knowing him for a bit from another list.

	You do bring up a god point; While giving Gene the answer to his
questions, a disclaimer of sorts would be a good idea - explaining just
why removing it is not suggested.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818