Slow disk I/O - was Re: Seeking Help

geoff at thebakershome.net geoff at thebakershome.net
Wed Jan 23 13:55:42 UTC 2013

> On 01/23/2013 08:06 AM, geoff at thebakershome.net wrote:
>

>> Connection is DSL. The computer is connected to a DDWRT based router
>> (Linksys 610 or something like that, and then to the router/modem from
>> Internet provider).
>>

> Allright then, where in the blazes does 173.23.1.1 come from?  From what
> I'm seeing, that should be the Ip address of your Linksys.  However,
> that address and is not valid to use for your Internal lan when
> connecting to the Internet.  You need to configure your router to use an
> IP address from the private IP addresses.  (Shown here:
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Unrouteable_private_ip_address)  Most likely
> 192.168.1.1 would be a good candidate.

Wow, just wow. I feel like a fool. I have been using the 173.23.x.x subnet
for years. I think I set it up in 2002. I picked the numbers by doing a
search for private IP addresses, but clearly I must have messed something
up or used a poor source. I could not choose 192.168.1.x due to conflicts
with school, and work VPNs. But I guess I overshot and found an incorrect
IP range. I will relayout my network tonight. Good catch, and thank-you.

> Looking back at this thread, I see you provide more examples of problem
> that are more disk I/O based, rather than networked based.  All the
> same, can you devise a test that you can boot the computer with the
> network cable unplugged, and see if it's still acting slow?

Yes I do expect the network is not the problem, though it does not hurt
for me to try what you suggest.