Seeking Help

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 22 14:16:53 UTC 2013

On 23/01/13 00:54, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Is it just installing/updating that is the problem or do you have other
>>> issues?
>> Anytime I am performing a task with high I/O to one of the HDDs. There are
>> three in the computer. The SDD, and two Western Digital platter drives.
> So actually you think it is disk I/O speed that is the problem, rather
> than being anything to do with installing/upgrading?
>
> If you just copy a large file is it slow?
> Have a look in /var/log/syslog and see if there is anything that looks
> like an error.
>
> Colin

Oh dear...sounding like a cabling problem and the old hoary problem
about SATA1/2/3 and 40-wire and 80-wire connections; and UDMA not being
correctly recognised and set.

How does a SDD drive behave in conjunction with standard (platter)
drives? Are there possible or known conflicts? I certainly don't know.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.0 & kernel 3.7.4-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor