Seeking Help

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 22 14:04:11 UTC 2013

On 23/01/13 00:13, geoff at thebakershome.net wrote:

> On 22/01/13 16:27, geoff at thebakershome.net wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>     I built a new system recently and after running some tests I am of
>>> the
>>> opinion that either the Kernel has a bug, or my motherboard needs to go
>>> back to the manufacturer for an RMA replacement.
>>>
>>>     I am interested to find someone else with a Gigabyte P75-D3
>>> motherboard.
>>> It would be nice to have someone else with this board who could confirm
>>> that the kernel is capable of completing an install in less than 6
>>> hours,
>> Jesus, what sort of "install"?! :-)
>>
>> Install from DVD, install over the Internet, install from a Live CD, or
>> what?
>>
>>>    or "apt-get update" in less than 10 minutes.
>> To begin with, what is the speed of your internet connection? Dial-up or
>> what?
>>
>> Then what sort of system which you "built": how much RAM, what speed,
>> what speed cpu?
>>
>> Suggestion: if you ask for help provide needed info so that people can
>> answer your questions :-) .
>>
>> [pruned]
>>
>> BC

More information, got it.

- Install was from DVD
- Computer has 32 GB of ram and an Intel i7 3770 CPU.
- Primary HDD is a Samsung 840 Pro (SSD)
- Ubuntu 12.10
- Internet connection is 10 Mbps download, 800 kbps upload

Thank-you
-Geoff

32GB of RAM eh? :-) I've got 16GB and consider it an overkill - and I
have yet to see more than 4GB of it used :-) .

But that is beside the point......

As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu
from a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric!
Where are you?! Help out here please :-D ) which contains ALL the files
on the DVD to install Ubuntu.

The DVD you burn from the iso of Ubuntu does not contain all the files,
and these files have to be downloaded from the Ubuntu site during
installation.

This is what I understand.

And you mention that you have a 10 Mbits/s connection to the 'net -
which, to me indicates that you have ADSL. Taking into account how far
you live from your nearest telephone exchange and how congested the
phone line is and how busy the Ubuntu server is, you will take a heck of
a long time to finish the installation :-( .

(If you want to test what sort of speed your connection is working at go to-

http://speedtest.net/

and check what your actual speed may be - versus the theoretical 10mbps
your ISP told you you would have and are paying for :-) .)

So what I am saying here is: let the whole thing run until its finished
- or buy for $US5 the DVD from the URL I just gave you (you do live in
the US of A? If not then there would be a similar store somewhere in
your locale [maybe]) and save heaps of download time by installing from
this DVD.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.0 & kernel 3.7.4-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor