Slow disk I/O - was Re: Seeking Help

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 20:08:42 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 06:59 AM, geoff at thebakershome.net wrote:
> I do not know for sure. I get good benchmark sppeds in 12.10 as well. The
> problem is when dealing with lots of small files (apt-get update,
> compiling many files, etc).
>
> I do not know how to properly test this from the live 12.04 disk.

May be of interest:
<http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/>

It's available in the repository. However for 12.04 Precise I recommend
using the .deb from phoronix:
<http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=downloads>
<php5-cli>
<http://phoronix-test-suite.com/releases/repo/pts.debian/files/phoronix-test-suite_4.2.0_all.deb>

Phoronix Test Suite v4.2.0
Available Suites

  pts/audio-encoding               - Audio Encoding                   System
  pts/chess                        - Chess Test Suite
Processor
  pts/compilation                  - Timed Code Compilation
Processor
  pts/compiler                     - Compiler
Processor
  pts/compression                  - Timed File Compression
Processor
  pts/computational                - Computational Test Suite         System
  pts/computational-biology        - Computational Biology Test Suite
Processor
  pts/cpu                          - CPU / Processor Suite
Processor
  pts/cryptography                 - Cryptography
Processor
  pts/daily-kernel-tracker         - Daily Kernel Tracker             System
  pts/daily-system-tracker         - Daily System Tracker             System
  pts/database                     - Database Test Suite              System
  pts/desktop-graphics             - Desktop Graphics                 System
  pts/disk                         - Disk Test Suite                  Disk
  pts/encoding                     - Encoding                         System
  pts/favorites                    - Favorites                        System
* pts/gaming                       - Gaming                           System
  pts/gaming-closed                - Closed-Source Gaming             System
* pts/gaming-free                  - Free Software Gaming             System
  pts/gui-toolkits                 - GUI Toolkits
Graphics
  pts/ioquake3-games               - Games Using The ioquake3 Engine  System
  pts/iqc                          - Image Quality Comparison Suite
Graphics
  pts/java                         - Java                             System
  pts/java-opengl                  - Java OpenGL                      System
  pts/kernel                       - Kernel                           System
  pts/linux-system                 - Linux System                     System
  pts/memory                       - Memory Test Suite                Memory
  pts/mesa                         - Mesa Test Suite
Graphics
  pts/motherboard                  - Motherboard                      System
  pts/multicore                    - Multi-Core
Processor
  pts/netbook                      - Netbook Test Suite               System
  pts/network                      - Networking Test Suite
Network
  pts/nevada                       - OpenSolaris Nevada Test Suite    System
  pts/opencl                       - OpenCL                           System
  pts/opengl-demos                 - OpenGL Demos Test Suite          System
  pts/opengl-workstation           - OpenGL Workstation Test Suite    System
  pts/pts-desktop-live             - PTS Desktop Live                 System
  pts/ray-tracing                  - Ray-Tracing Test Suite           System
  pts/server                       - Server Motherboard               System
  pts/unigine                      - Unigine Test Suite
Graphics
* pts/universe                     - Universe Test Suite              System
  pts/universe-cli                 - Universe CLI Test Suite          System
* pts/universe-x                   - Universe X Test Suite            System
  pts/video-encoding               - Video Encoding                   System
  pts/workstation                  - Workstation                      System
  pts/workstation-graphics         - Workstation Graphics
Graphics
  pts/xrender                      - X Render Extension Testing
Graphics

* Indicates a partially supported suite.