Printer problems after moving to 12.04.1 LTS

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 21 17:21:51 UTC 2013

On 21 January 2013 17:14, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am at my wits end...
>
> I moved one of my systems to Unity (12.04.1 LTS) from 10.4.4 LTS using the
> update manager and upgrade. It was a fairly smooth installation.
>
> However, the printer I have attached to that system reports "may not be
> connected" when I try to print to it from other systems in my network. They
> all worked fine prior to the upgrade.
>
> I have checked everything I know of:
>
> 1. it is shared
> 2. allow printing for everyone
> 3. it works from the local system
>
> I have deleted and added the printer on both of my other systems.
>
> Printer is an HP Photosmart C3180. The driver is hpcups 3.12.2
>
> This is the url I am using to address the printer from my remote systems:
>
> ipp://192.168.139.xxx/printers/sysclr
>
> Since the tool no longer will find it when I try to add a network printer I
> resorted to hard coding the url above (It is the same as what I was using
> before).

If it is not finding the remote printer then that may suggest that the
problem is at the server end.  On the server have you gone to System
Settings > Printers then selected via the menu Server > Settings and
set Publish Shared Printers?

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu

Colin