Printer problems after moving to 12.04.1 LTS

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 21 17:14:48 UTC 2013

Folks,

I am at my wits end...

I moved one of my systems to Unity (12.04.1 LTS) from 10.4.4 LTS using the
update manager and upgrade. It was a fairly smooth installation.

However, the printer I have attached to that system reports "may not be
connected" when I try to print to it from other systems in my network. They all
worked fine prior to the upgrade.

I have checked everything I know of:

1. it is shared
2. allow printing for everyone
3. it works from the local system

I have deleted and added the printer on both of my other systems.

Printer is an HP Photosmart C3180. The driver is hpcups 3.12.2

This is the url I am using to address the printer from my remote systems:

ipp://192.168.139.xxx/printers/sysclr

Since the tool no longer will find it when I try to add a network printer I
resorted to hard coding the url above (It is the same as what I was using before).

I also have a remote printer that works just fine from all the other systems in
my network.

What have I missed?

Regards,
Jay