Startup services

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:56:53 UTC 2013

For saned, on Xubuntu, I found it best to edit /etc/default/saned;
there's a "RUN=no" line now.
This fix is permanent until I change it.

For bluetooth and modemmanager, I used
$ service bluetooth  stop
$ service modemmanager  stop
These are temporary fixes.  Following instructions, I did this for a
more permanent fix:
# echo 'manual' >/etc/init/bluetooth.override
# echo 'manual' >/etc/init/modemmanager.override
(use sudo if that suits you better)

I'm starting to wonder what else I can disable safely.  There are a
lot of candidates.