desktop b0rken: was Re: X not working on precise

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 08:52:57 UTC 2012

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:12:46 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> So it looks to me (although I don't know what should be in a .dmrc
>> file) that lxde did create such a file properly, but it hasn't been
>> upgraded properly and may still be wrong?
>
> exactly ...
> the first one would have been right for an lxde session.
> i assume when you logged into lightdm and ended up in the unity session
> lightdm updated the dmrc file properly, when you then switched back to
> ldxm it didnt update the file to read "session = LXDE" as it should.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the bug is. I can see some of what
happens (or more accurately doesn't happen) but I don't understand what
*should* happen.

lxdm has a dropdown menu for session type. But it apparently doesn't
depend on which user is being logged in. If I now choose, for example,
 an openbox session, nothing changes in my home directory (.dmrc still
shows "ubuntu" from yesterday. The only change I can find is to
/var/lib/lxdm/lxdm.conf which now contains
"last_session=/usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop".

But when I went looking for the appropriate specification for this
behaviour, I have failed to find it. What specification defines .dmrc
and the behaviour of display managers with regards to it?

Cheers, Dave