desktop b0rken: was Re: X not working on precise

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu Sep 13 14:14:53 UTC 2012

Liam Proven wrote:
> But if you don't want the GNOME or Unity desktop, then you should not
> be running the version of the distro that comes with a GNOME or Unity
> desktop, because when you upgrade it, it is still going to be the
> version with the GNOME/Unity desktop!

Running the ubuntu desktop shouldn't really affect any of the other
desktops, and if it does that is a problem. Installing from a ubuntu
disc and then installing xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop wont
break anything, and a dist-upgrade should leave everything working.

The iffy bit is in not adding desktops but adding window managers and
desktop managers individually. These aren't supposed to break either,
but are probably seen as too much of an edge-case to be fixed,
especially since it's just a matter of a change of default. It is
something that's worth filing a bug against, but unless you're also
submitting a patch I'd not hold my breath on it getting fixed for this
upgrade.

> It can't read your mind. If you are running the standard version, then
> that is what you are going to get. If you don't want it, don't run it,
> run the version that has the desktop you want. This is not rocket
> science!

No, but it should be able to read the configuration it was using
before the upgrade. Running several DEs and only generally using one
of them should not be a problem.

--
Avi