problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Sep 4 12:44:27 UTC 2012

Dave Howorth wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
> > Another alternative is to re-install Ubuntu and restore data from
> > your backups.
>
> Indeed but I'm hoping I won't have to do that. I guess that what has
> happened is fairly simple, if I only understood what it was, and so
> the chances of a simple repair ought to be quite good.

Well, maybe reinstalling is the faster option as it usually only takes
something like hours and not days - after all, you mentioned some sort
of urgency. OTOH, if it isn't really THAT urgent, could you send a list
of installed packages? You can get it with the command

dpkg --get-selections >packages.txt

but don't attach the resulting file "packages.txt" to a reply because it
is probably too large to be accepted by the list server. Instead either
send it with private mail directly to me or, even better, post it e.g.
at <http://paste.ubuntu.com/> and post the URL here. Then I could try
the upgrade with the same packages used on your machine. Maybe I can
then find out what happened.

Nils