problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 11:21:19 UTC 2012

Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 September 2012 10:50, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I wrote:
>>> I've opened a new one:
>>>
>>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285>
>> I'm new to the Ubuntu bug process, so I don't know what to expect. I
>> created the bug and received a rapid request for all the logs. So I
>> uploaded them and changed the status back to New. But now I've had no
>> acknowledgment or anything and don't know whether that's normal, or I
>> missed some procedural step or what. The machine that's down hosts a web
>> site that my boss uses, so I'm a bit fretful :(
>
> Nothing from the bug is likely to help fix the machine, it will
> hopefully prompt changes that may help to stop the problem affecting
> someone else.
>
> If you want to get the machine working again I suggest posting the
> current situation here and hoping someone can help you.  If this is a
> continuation of an ongoing thread then apologies as I do not seem to
> have the rest of the thread.

Basically, I tried to upgrade a machine from Lucid to Precise and it has
failed, apparently in a similar manner to several other peoples'
experiences as described in the bug reports. The machine will boot but
many programs fail. There seems to be something python-related broken
but there may be other problems.

Rather than post all the information again, is it OK to suggest reading
this thread starting at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-August/263204.html

I have run various commands including:

  apt-get -f install
  apt-get -f install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=0
  apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f dpkg apt
python-minimal
  apport-cli -p update-manager -u 990740

But they have all failed. I can run any other commands or supply output
from these as you or anybody else wishes.

> Another alternative is to re-install Ubuntu and restore data from your backups.

Indeed but I'm hoping I won't have to do that. I guess that what has
happened is fairly simple, if I only understood what it was, and so the
chances of a simple repair ought to be quite good.

Thanks, Dave