Monitoring for disk issues

Oliver Marshall oliver.marshall at g2support.com
Fri Oct 19 08:43:56 UTC 2012

Hi chaps

We have an increasing number of ubuntu based machines kicking about, either
desktops or basic servers. Most have single disks, or dual disks with a
software raid.

We want to monitor them for disk issues after a few of the older ones
(admittedly very old) died. There seems to be a mass of places that we
might look and script to check but not one place itself.

I'm told that SCSI errors should appear in /var/log/syslog and that we
might be able to use smartmon to monitor the smart status of the disks.
Smart statuses are notoriously unreliable though with disks failing without
any warning from the smart chips.

In the windows world we have a certain number of event codes in the event
logs we monitor for. Is there a similar thing we can use here? Monitor for
a certain string or code in a certain log which all disk errors can be
expected to use?

Bare in mind we aren't using any 3rd party raid controllers. It's all
software stuff or single disk.

Olly

--
Network Support
Online Backups

Tel: 0845 307 3443
Web: http://www.g2support.com
Twitter: g2support <http://twitter.com/home?status=@g2support>
Google+: http://www.g2support.com/plus
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/g2support
Mail: Unit H, Hove Technology Centre, Hove, Sussex, BN3 7ES

Have you said something nice about us to a friend or colleague ? Let us say
thanks. Find out more at www.g2support.com/referral

G2 Support LLP is registered at Mill House, 103 Holmes Avenue, HOVE
BN3 7LE. Our registered company number is OC316341.