GE problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 2 00:19:02 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 09:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2012 00:24:37 NoOp did opine:
>> Here, I'll post it again:
>> ====
>> Download the .deb and install:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth
>>   http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html
>> ====
>>
>> *Read* the link and follow the instructions. Please don't come back with
>> "I believe that is probably what synaptic has pulled in twice now".
>
> The version numbers matched, what other conclusion should I have reached?

No. If you install the .deb from the link I provided the version would
be version 7, not version 5.

>> Either take the advise of those that have taken their time to try and
>> assist you or not. But don't waste my (our) time by not even
>> testing/trying/reading/ what has been suggested.
>>
>> How hard can that be? If you've a problem with the .debs from the link
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth /
>> http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html that were provided
>> for you, then by all means come back & say "thanks, I've tried that, it
>> didn't work and here are the result details". If you can't then I'd
>> suggest the Ubuntu Forums instead...
>
> I went thru that process error free except for the fussing about the
> LibreOffice menu stuffs, and it still runs from the menu, exactly as before
> it appears.  From the about box:
>
> Google Earth
> 5.1.3533.1731
> Build Date
> Nov 11, 2009
> Build Time
> 4:39:12 pm
> Renderer
> OpenGL
> Operating System
> Linux (2.6.32.0)
> Video Driver
> Mesa Project
> Max Texture Size
> 4096x4096
> Server
> kh.google.com
>
> Is this correct?

No. That is the medibuntu version. The .deb that is available is:

$ apt-cache policy google-earth-stable
google-earth-stable:
  Installed: 7.0.1.8244-r0
  Candidate: 7.0.1.8244-r0
  Version table:
 *** 7.0.1.8244-r0 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     6.0.3.2197-r0 0
        500 http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages

32bit version:
google-earth-stable_current_i386.deb
64bit version:
google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb

However, I think it is probably easier if you set up the dl.google.com
repository and then you can install from synaptic or apt-get. The
current version there is 6.0.3.2197-r0 0:

$ apt-cache policy google-earth-stable
google-earth-stable:
  Installed: 6.0.3.2197-r0
  Candidate: 6.0.3.2197-r0
  Version table:
 *** 6.0.3.2197-r0 0
        500 http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

BTW: that version works better for me than 7. I've found that 7 is buggy
in the 32bit version (doesn't yet do overylays properly), and crashes in
the 64bit version. So here is what I recommend:

1. Purge any GE install that you have now: use synaptic & select
'remove'all.
2. Disable the medibuntu repository: again use synaptic
Settings|Repositories|Other Software
*uncheck* the medibuntu repository. That way you can easily go back and
'check' it if you wish to return to that version.
3. Exit synaptic and open a terminal. Then (these are all one line):

$ wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub |
sudo apt-key add -
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable
main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install google-earth-stable
$ google-earth %f