They broke my firefox video!!

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 7 11:05:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:51:07 -0600
Tom Poe <tompoe at meltel.net> wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 05:03 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Jeeeezzz... after last night's flurry of updates, I now get this
> > open > chest looking icon display where videos are supposed to
> > happen. Right > clicking doesn't identify what it is... I just
> > tried YouTube and it > shows the open chest icon first, then shows
> > a box with a red crossed > circle that complains no file. It was
> > all working nicely before I went > to bed. Crimminy.... BAH! And we
> > were just complaining about Fedora. Ric
> >
> Ric:  I'm running 11.10, and have reinstalled twice due to updates
> that crashed video.  I now have third iteration of 11.10, and have
> refused all updates.  Still running smooth.  I too, am convinced the
> updates are seriously flawed, either with chromium updates, or gnash
> updates.  I've tried reinstalling both, with no luck, no change, no
> clue as to what the issue is.  Good luck.  Let me know, since I would
> like to be able to keep up with updates on my old desktop computer a
> little longer. Tom

I'm running 11.10 mint and have this problem too, with the Chromium
browser and flash. On reading about your problem, I checked and I have
this problem too.  I've tried reinstalling but no change. I do not have
apparently, any gnash or other alternative AFAICT. However, I can go to
RT.com and watch a Keiser Report,

  http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/episode-258-max-keiser/

so does this not use flash but another video driver?

But there are other video links on that site that do not work, just
provide a static image, like below;

  http://rt.com/news/cia-blackwater-mossad-syria-037/

All is working correctly AFAICT within Firefox 10.0.2

Any suggestions?