They broke my firefox video!!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:10:44 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 11:51 PM, Tom Poe wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 05:03 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> Jeeeezzz... after last night's flurry of updates, I now get this open
>> chest looking icon display where videos are supposed to happen. Right
>> clicking doesn't identify what it is... I just tried YouTube and it
>> shows the open chest icon first, then shows a box with a red crossed
>> circle that complains no file. It was all working nicely before I went
>> to bed. Crimminy.... BAH! And we were just complaining about Fedora. Ric
>>
> Ric: I'm running 11.10, and have reinstalled twice due to updates that
> crashed video. I now have third iteration of 11.10, and have refused all
> updates. Still running smooth. I too, am convinced the updates are
> seriously flawed, either with chromium updates, or gnash updates. I've
> tried reinstalling both, with no luck, no change, no clue as to what the
> issue is. Good luck. Let me know, since I would like to be able to keep
> up with updates on my old desktop computer a little longer.
> Tom

Tom, I had to dig. For one thing I never install gnash, as it's pretty
much hopeless as a drop in replacement for adobe flash installer. BUT!
Somehow, it got dragged in, like my neighbor's cat died and was left it
on my porch.

So, I'm hunting it down and finally, using alternatives configurator, I
found the little beasty and DELETED it's entry, after selecting normal
flash. Now I have flash back up and running. Just look for the mozilla
flash plugin entry, edit it back to normal, then smack the gnash entry
out of the ballpark. I enjoyed that part. Funny thing that it still
remained, even after I deleted the package. I'm really glad I wsn't
showing off my box today.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html