copy/paste failures when logged into another machine via ssh -Y

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:38:27 UTC 2012

On 13 July 2012 17:14, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2012 11:39:05 Colin Law did opine:
>
>> On 13 July 2012 14:30, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings all;
>> >
>> > One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine
>> > was to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by
>> > gedit on the remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and
>> > MMB the text into another local file.
>> >
>> > I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on
>> > this box too.
>> >
>> > Is this a gedit failing, or something else?  If a gedit failure, is it
>> > fixable somehow?
>>
>> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
>>
>> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
>> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as I
> routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine.  It seems to
> be more of a failure of the network when the remote session of gedit is on
> another machine.  I can use the mouse to hilite the text ok, but a control-
> v or an MMB event simply has no effect.  Like it has been filtered and sent
> to /dev/null.

OK, I wondered why you mentioned switching workspaces unless it was
significant to the problem.

> On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper", mc is
> supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that pulls down a
> windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what you expected, so you
> grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at the bottom right of the mc
> screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$ nanny and asks "are you sure?"  If
> that nanny worked for me, she would have been so fired years ago.

I don't know anything about mc (presumably you mean midnight commander).  Sorry.

> Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first place!
> Sheesh.  That is more annoying than I can adequately describe in my native
> language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such occasions that is
> most assuredly rated NSFW.
>
> Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel on a
> blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will take me from
> workspace N to another workspace N without having to find that microscopic
> sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar at the far right bottom
> corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall on a 22" Samsung digital tv
> being used for a monitor, and mouse wiggle room is very restricted) and
> click on the desired 1/8" square workspace button?  Knowing that would save
> me 2 to 5 seconds every time I need to change workspaces on any of these
> machines.

I don't know which pager you mean, are you using Unity?
You can cycle through the workspaces with Ctrl-Alt right or left
arrow.  Or I believe you can setup shortcuts to switch to particular
workspaces.  Go to System Settings > keyboard > Shortcuts and scroll
down to Switch to workspace 1 etc and put in the keys you want to use.
 I have not used this myself however.

Colin