copy/paste failures when logged into another machine via ssh -Y

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 13 16:14:12 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 11:39:05 Colin Law did opine:

> On 13 July 2012 14:30, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > One of the things I could do when I was running pclos on this machine
> > was to use the mouse to hi-lite a line of text being displayed by
> > gedit on the remote machine, switch to a different workspace here and
> > MMB the text into another local file.
> >
> > I don't seem to be able to do that now that I am running ubuntu on
> > this box too.
> >
> > Is this a gedit failing, or something else?  If a gedit failure, is it
> > fixable somehow?
>
> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
>
> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
>
> Colin

Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as I
routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine.  It seems to
be more of a failure of the network when the remote session of gedit is on
another machine.  I can use the mouse to hilite the text ok, but a control-
v or an MMB event simply has no effect.  Like it has been filtered and sent
to /dev/null.

On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper", mc is
supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that pulls down a
windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what you expected, so you
grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at the bottom right of the mc
screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$ nanny and asks "are you sure?"  If
that nanny worked for me, she would have been so fired years ago.

Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first place!
Sheesh.  That is more annoying than I can adequately describe in my native
language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such occasions that is
most assuredly rated NSFW.

Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel on a
blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will take me from
workspace N to another workspace N without having to find that microscopic
sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar at the far right bottom
corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall on a 22" Samsung digital tv
being used for a monitor, and mouse wiggle room is very restricted) and
click on the desired 1/8" square workspace button?  Knowing that would save
me 2 to 5 seconds every time I need to change workspaces on any of these
machines.

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
In 1750 Issac Newton became discouraged when he fell up a flight of stairs.