copy/paste failures when logged into another machine via ssh -Y

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 13 17:29:27 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 13:13:58 Colin Law did opine:

> On 13 July 2012 17:14, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> >> It works ok for me running Ubuntu desktop 12.04.
> >>
> >> You mention switching to a different workspace, is that significant?
> >> Is it ok if the two gedits are on the same workspace?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > Perhaps, but I don't think the workspaces are a controlling factor as
> > I routinely do such from workspace to workspace on this machine.  It
> > seems to be more of a failure of the network when the remote session
> > of gedit is on another machine.  I can use the mouse to hilite the
> > text ok, but a control- v or an MMB event simply has no effect.  Like
> > it has been filtered and sent to /dev/null.
>
> OK, I wondered why you mentioned switching workspaces unless it was
> significant to the problem.
>
> > On a similar train of thought because it might be the same "helper",
> > mc is supposed to exit when you press F10, but here on ubuntu that
> > pulls down a windows menu, a totally worthless operation from what
> > you expected, so you grab the mouse and click on the f10 button at
> > the bottom right of the mc screen, and gnome then pops up its *^%#$
> > nanny and asks "are you sure?"  If that nanny worked for me, she
> > would have been so fired years ago.
>
> I don't know anything about mc (presumably you mean midnight commander).
>  Sorry.

Yes, the one, the original swiss army knife of 2 pane file managers.

> > Of course I'm sure, or I wouldn't have hit the F10 key in the first
> > place! Sheesh.  That is more annoying than I can adequately describe
> > in my native language even if I do have a 2 minute monologue for such
> > occasions that is most assuredly rated NSFW.
> >
> > Now, since I can't switch workplaces by just rolling the mouse wheel
> > on a blank spot of the screen, is there a single keypress that will
> > take me from workspace N to another workspace N without having to
> > find that microscopic sized pager (its in two rows in the bottom bar
> > at the far right bottom corner of the screen, and less than a cm tall
> > on a 22" Samsung digital tv being used for a monitor, and mouse
> > wiggle room is very restricted) and click on the desired 1/8" square
> > workspace button?  Knowing that would save me 2 to 5 seconds every
> > time I need to change workspaces on any of these machines.
>
> I don't know which pager you mean, are you using Unity?
> You can cycle through the workspaces with Ctrl-Alt right or left
> arrow.  Or I believe you can setup shortcuts to switch to particular
> workspaces.  Go to System Settings > keyboard > Shortcuts and scroll
> down to Switch to workspace 1 etc and put in the keys you want to use.
>  I have not used this myself however.
>
> Colin

No clue what one calls the gdm + some kde video interface, but by golly
that works, at least on this machine, thank you very much!  And maybe I can
find that F10 grabber and blow that puppy clear into the next drainage too.
But a plain old F10 is not listed in that menu.  Sigh.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
* liw prefers not to have Linus run Debian, because then /me would
  have to run Red Hat, just to keep the power balance :)
		-- #Debian