[OT] Ubuntu Should Be Forked!

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:22:14 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 11:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 30/01/12 20:09, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>> http://www.muktware.com/articles/3252/ubuntu-should-be-forked

> Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
> another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?

The agenda is to keep users to Ubuntu and stop them from migrating. If
they get a vanilla Gnome Ubuntu they will not bother to switch to LM.

> A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I
> understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
> thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
> and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.

I have been an Ubuntu user for 6 years and have installed it on many
user's PCs so it is my concern to address their needs. If it irks me --
I have two options I stop using it or suggest something which will help
me and many like me.

> Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
> move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
> are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?

Then you did not get the point of the post -- the point was to create a
Gnome version of Ubuntu to stop migration. I love Ubuntu and want
Canonical to succeed as a commercial Linux player like Red Hat. But this
mass migration is bothering me. Ubuntu has done a great job in the last
decade and I don't want it to get any weak because of some design
changes that is upsetting users.

Note: Internal fork (or any fork) is in fact a great thing.

Swapnil