[OT] Ubuntu Should Be Forked!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 30 10:13:31 UTC 2012

On 30/01/12 20:09, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> http://www.muktware.com/articles/3252/ubuntu-should-be-forked
>
> I have been a long time Ubuntu user, been using it since 2006. I loved
> it and have been installing it on user's PC until version 11.04 came
> out with Unity. Before you get a wrong impression let me make it clear
> that I love to try new things as long as they don't come in between me
> and my work.
>
> I started using Unity since its alpha days and am currently running
> Ubuntu 12.04 with HUD and KDE 4.8. The reason is simple -- I am
> curious and love trying new things. I am also running openSUSE with
> Gnome 3 to stay updated with the latest development.
>
> I am not certain if I will continue to use Ubuntu after 12.04 if they
> force HUD on me. Mark Shuttleworth has given clear indication that HUD
> will ultimately replace the menus. I don't know what he meant by that.
> When he introduced Unity has specifically said that this doesn't make
> much sense for bigger screens and now we are all stuck with Unity and
> Global Menus. We have seem mass exodus from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. Most
> of my associates have moved to Linux Mint and DistroWatch is an
> indicator of that migration.

Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?

You are using openSUSE because you want to be "updated with the *latest*
*developments*".

A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I
understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.

Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?

BC

--
The wise man does at once what a fool does finally.
              Niccolo Machiavelli