[OT] Ubuntu Should Be Forked!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 30 10:59:33 UTC 2012

On 30/01/12 21:22, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 11:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 30/01/12 20:09, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>>> http://www.muktware.com/articles/3252/ubuntu-should-be-forked
>

>> Sorry, but I simply do not understand the aim of your post. Or put
>> another way: what is your real agenda by posting this message?
>
> The agenda is to keep users to Ubuntu and stop them from migrating. If
> they get a vanilla Gnome Ubuntu they will not bother to switch to LM.

There is as much chance of this happening as there is of a snowflake
surviving the fires of hell. Get used to it.

>> understand that Mandrake has gone belly-up. Can someone confirm this,
>> thanks?) So simply stay with openSUSE and don't waste time downloading
>> and maintaining something which irks you - ie, Ubuntu.
> A most excellent choice for a solid and well respected distro. (I
>
> I have been an Ubuntu user for 6 years and have installed it on many
> user's PCs so it is my concern to address their needs. If it irks me
> -- I have two options I stop using it or suggest something which will
> help me and many like me.

You've got it in one: stop using it or use something else.

>> Alternatively, why not follow the example set by your compatriots and
>> move over to Mint? I think that you know what Mint is all about so why
>> are you even asking for "a fork" to Ubuntu?
>

> Then you did not get the point of the post

Oh, I got the point of your post al-right. It is you who doesn't "get it".

> -- the point was to create a Gnome version of Ubuntu to stop migration.

There is such a Gnome version - and you would have read about it in
openSUSE list(s). It's called Cinnamon.

> I love Ubuntu and want Canonical to succeed as a commercial Linux
> player like Red Hat. But this mass migration is bothering me. Ubuntu
> has done a great job in the last decade

Sorry but you have your facts totally wrong.

Ubuntu did not see the light of day till October 2004.

That is only just over 7 years ago.

On the other hand, openSUSE comes from S.u.S.E Linux which started back
in September 1992. (It became openSUSE when Novell bought S.u.S.E Linux.)

> and I don't want it to get any weak because of some design changes
> that is upsetting users.
>
> Note: Internal fork (or any fork) is in fact a great thing.
>
> Swapnil

BC

--
The wise man does at once what a fool does finally.
              Niccolo Machiavelli