Why "alternate"and not "alternative" CD?

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 18:32:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:14:05 +0200
Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:

> With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
> "alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

Ah, synonyms, the very life of English!

It is used because it is an alternate usage of, not a word, but a
definition.  An alternative to alternative, if you will.

See definition 2 below:

----------
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

  alternate
      adj 1: every second one of a series; "the cleaning lady comes on
             alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White
             Queen
      2: serving or used in place of another; "an alternative plan"
         [syn: {alternate}, {alternative}, {substitute}]
----------

...except for:

----------
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
[gcide]:

  Alternative \Al*ter"na*tive\, n. [Cf. F. alternative, LL.
     alternativa.]
     1. An offer of two things, one of which may be chosen, but
        not both; a choice between two things, so that if one is
        taken, the other must be left.

...so, as you  can see, you may use either word interchangeably or
confine yourself to, "alternate,' since we needn't leave the one
<thing> when choosing the other.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.