cpufreq scaling on ubuntu 12.10 (latest updates)

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 06:45:11 UTC 2012

I have installed the modules, the libs and the scripts:
# ls /lib/modules/3.5.0-21-generic/kernel/drivers/cpufreq
cpufreq-nforce2.ko  gx-suspmod.ko  longhaul.ko longrun.ko
p4-clockmod.ko  powernow-k6.ko  powernow-k7.ko

# ls /usr/bin/*freq*
/usr/bin/cpufreq-aperf*  /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector*
/usr/bin/indicator-cpufreq* /usr/bin/mate-cpufreq-selector*
/usr/bin/cpufreq-info*     /usr/bin/cpufreq-set*
/usr/bin/indicator-cpufreq-selector*

Yet, I cannot find the powernow-k8 modulefor my
amd athlon 64 3200+. Perhaps it does not exist??

If I try:

# /usr/bin/cpufreq-set  -f 260000
Error setting new values. Common errors:
- Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)
- Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?
- Trying to set an invalid policy?
- Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not
available,
    for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific
frequency
    or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?

So, without powernow-k8, I cannot set cpufreq.