Installing cinnamon

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Mon Dec 10 10:35:45 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-10 10:54, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 09:12 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:

>>> Most noobs would click on the link on that page "Read about
>>> installing" where the instructions appear clear and include
>>> instructions to run apt-get update.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> It's not just noobs who run into this. I've seen a lot of messages
>> this mailing list where the problem was fixed by updating the
>> package
>> list first. In my opinion the apt-get should get a bit more
>> intelligent,
>> and ask the user if maybe it should update its list before
>> installing.
>> And maybe add an extra switch to skip that step, for the experienced
>> users.
>>
>> It should also be more intelligent about alerting the user that
>> maybe
>> there is some maintenance going on on the other end, and please try
>> again in a few minutes. That's another source of trouble I've seen a
>> lot.
>>
>> But that's just my opinion of course
>
> I guess though if they figure you're adding ppa's or indeed using apt
> at
> all instead of Synaptic or Software Centre, that you've at least
> taken
> the time to read the docs regarding apt. It's generally not a
> pointy-clicky interface after all.

You think too highly of most people, imho. People want some software,
so they search in Google how they can get it. The most simple Google
answer wins. No time is wasted reading docs, unless it is absolutely
needed.

> Also, I suspect that they've got more pressing matters to hand than
> re-writing something that works perfectly well. I suppose you could
> volunteer to help out in this matter. I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;-)

Please explain what can be more important that getting things to work
well, because I would rank that number 1 on my list?
I already helped as much as I can by pointing out how they can improve
their product. (I'm not a programmer, in case you are wondering.)

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman