Installing cinnamon

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:09:04 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 10:35 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:
> On 2012-12-10 10:54, Phil Dobbin wrote:

>>> It's not just noobs who run into this. I've seen a lot of messages to
>>> this mailing list where the problem was fixed by updating the package
>>> list first. In my opinion the apt-get should get a bit more intelligent,
>>> and ask the user if maybe it should update its list before installing.
>>> And maybe add an extra switch to skip that step, for the experienced
>>> users.
>>>
>>> It should also be more intelligent about alerting the user that maybe
>>> there is some maintenance going on on the other end, and please try
>>> again in a few minutes. That's another source of trouble I've seen a
>>> lot.
>>>
>>> But that's just my opinion of course
>>
>> I guess though if they figure you're adding ppa's or indeed using apt at
>> all instead of Synaptic or Software Centre, that you've at least taken
>> the time to read the docs regarding apt. It's generally not a
>> pointy-clicky interface after all.
>
> You think too highly of most people, imho. People want some software, so
> they search in Google how they can get it. The most simple Google answer
> wins. No time is wasted reading docs, unless it is absolutely needed.

In which case, they find out the hard way. Some people already hold a
cast iron view that computers should be able to read their mind & act
accordingly but as the old adage says, garbage in, garbage out.

>> Also, I suspect that they've got more pressing matters to hand than
>> re-writing something that works perfectly well. I suppose you could
>> volunteer to help out in this matter. I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;-)
>
> Please explain what can be more important that getting things to work
> well, because I would rank that number 1 on my list?
> I already helped as much as I can by pointing out how they can improve
> their product. (I'm not a programmer, in case you are wondering.)

It does work well. Not wishing to be a straw man about this but if you
used a car in the same fashion, you'd end up in the ditch.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,