Gnome and Ubuntu 12.04 beta

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 02:59:34 UTC 2012

On 21 April 2012 03:49, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/14/2012 02:19 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
>> 12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
>> 3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
>> how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
>> (Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.
>
> If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
> VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
> does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
> times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
> And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
> panel.
>  Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
> & 11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
> Works For Me.
> VirtualBox (4.1.12) does not.
> https://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> And yes, I do have the most recent VBox extension (VirtualBox 4.1.12
> Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack) installed on the host. I can both
> in parallel & side-by-side. Thumbs down on VirtualBox.

I've not tried it with 12.04, I will freely admit, but I had 11.04
running quite happily under VirtualBox, complete with 3D-accelerated
desktops and fill Unity. It took a little fiddling but it did work. I
believe the key step was to install the FOSS virtualbox-ose guest
additions from the standard Ubuntu repos, rather than the proprietary
one, but it was a year or so ago now.

I use both VBox and VMware Player from time to time - and VMware ESX+,
VirtualPC and Hyper-V on Windows and servers. VBox is the easiest,
simplest and cleanest of the lot, it's both freeware and FOSS and
unlimited, unlike the demos of VMware. I like it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884