Gnome and Ubuntu 12.04 beta

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Apr 21 10:23:00 UTC 2012

On 21/04/12 03:49, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/14/2012 02:19 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
>> 12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
>> 3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
>> how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
>> (Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.
>
> If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
> VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
> does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
> times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
> And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
> panel.
>    Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
> &  11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.

I looked at VMWare and decided that it is not for me. I think it was the
Ts and Cs, however that's not the problem. Looking through Synaptic I
note that large lumps of GNOME are still at 3.2, despite the desktop
being at 3.4.

I've now installed Fedora-17 beta in a VM (VBox) and I'm happily
evaluating GNOME 3.4 in all its glory. Brief first impression is that
this is what Unity could have been, but then why create Unity in the
first place?

Peter HB

PS I have no problems with 3D under VBox, but I am using the "real"
thing from Oracle, not the rebuilt version in the Ubuntu repositories.
Maybe that's what is causing your problem?

Peter HB