Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:23:09 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 11:13 PM, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin wrote:
> 在 2011-09-28三的 17:48 -0700,NoOp写道:
>> Culled from the recent threads via Alan Pope regarding '[Admin]
>> Additional moderator':
>>
>> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:00
>> Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list
>> down (Mark Shuttleworth is 'sabdfl'[1]:
>> :
>> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:10
>> [aiee, we should just shut that baby down]
>> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:44
>> [i'm happy to take the shutdown bullets on -users]
>> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:45
>> [even if it's of the 'last chance, fred's agreed to moderate, if (s)he
>> gives up, we shut down the list']
>>
>> Given the past results from the Sounder list I reckon that this list is
>> probably on it's last legs (IMO). And before anyone here ask: no I don't
>> plan to volunteer to be a moderator... I get enough flack already for
>> being a quasi-listmom on occasion.
>>
>> So if any of you wish to object to the benevolent founder comments a the
>> last Community Council meeting, you can login to the upcoming one to
>> voice your opinion:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda
>> "The next meeting is scheduled for 4th October 2011, 21:00 UTC and will
>> be held in #ubuntu-meeting on irc.ubuntu.com."
>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111004T21
>>
>> Have at it&  good luck. I reckon that I'll start spending more time on
>> non-Ubuntu lists&  newsgroups.
>>

>> [1]
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/governance
>> <quote>
>> SABDFL
>>
>> This is not a democracy, it's a meritocracy. We try to operate more on
>> consensus than on votes, seeking agreement from the people who will have
>> to do the work. Mark Shuttleworth, as self-appointed benevolent dictator
>> for life (SABDFL), plays a happily undemocratic role as sponsor of the
>> project. He has the ability, with regard to Canonical employees, to ask
>> people to work on specific projects, specific feature goals and specific
>> bugs.
>>
>> He also has a casting vote on the Technical Board and Community Council,
>> should it come to a vote. This capacity is not used lightly. The
>> community functions best when it can reach broad consensus about a way
>> forward. However, it is not uncommon in the open-source world for there
>> to be multiple good arguments, no clear consensus, and for arguments to
>> divide communities rather than enrich them. The argument absorbs the
>> energy that might otherwise have gone towards the creation of a
>> solution. In many cases, there is no one 'right' answer, and what is
>> needed is a decision more than a debate. The sabdfl acts to provide
>> clear leadership on difficult issues, and set the pace for the project.
>> </quote>

> [...]

That just means that in the end, it's his toys and he can go home with
'em. I can buy that. I personally think he's making a very bad BUSINESS
decision though. ALL of his users can't be gearheads. If I had my way
about it, he'd have over 3 million inmates as new users... try telling
them they're not valued. <chuckles> I can see it now... oh hell.

Maybe we should just fork and call it "Crowbar Linux".

         "Hack our site, we won't snitch.
We'll find you and we'll break your knees with a crowbar."

Heh! That has a certain éclat.

My point is that if Ubuntu doesn't attract "others" then we're not in
the thick of the Bazaar. Instead, we're in the Cathedral. If that is
where Mark wants to be, then I have nothing but pity for him, as he will
at some point realize that a terrible mistake in judgment has overtaken
him. It happens to the best of us, but getting back towards redemption
from our mistakes is such a bitch, best to be avoided in the first place
...if we're not to hardheaded to listen to others. It's a tricky world
out there. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html