Thunderbird/gmane?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 19:17:06 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 11:16 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 08:25 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Ok, doing this plus dropping down one more sub folder to news.gmane.org
>> and deleting the .msf file worked briefly. After Tbird downloaded all
>> the 240,000 plus headers it displayed both the read and unread messages.
>> But when I switched to another newsgroup and then back Tbird darkened on
>> the screen and became unresponsive. A eventually a dialog popped up
>> saying a script was misbehaving and did I want to cancel it. I cancelled
>> it and all the unread messages disappeared again.
>>
>> I want to thank you and sktsee for pointing me in the right direction.
>> Now I know how to display them I can work on the other problem.
> what extensions are you using?
>
> the script error is a known anomaly generally caused by an extension -
> don't know if that interfered with your messages, though, but if you
> have some mail extension installed, it may.

I can replicate. In TB 6.0.2 I show over 248K in unread messages.
Normally when I have that many in a newsgroup that I frequent often, I
17th. As soon as it started I got the javascript error:
====
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.
You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script
will complete.

Script: chrome://messenger/content/markByDate.js:137
===

At that point I can either elect to stop the script or continue. I
select 'Continue' TB greys out for a second (expected), and I get the
message again (not expected). This time I tick the 'Don't ask me again'
box and again click 'Continue'. TB greys out (expected as it is sucking
CPU & it takes a very long time to go through 248K+ headers), but no
more script error, and finally my unread count is 15. So give that a try
Jim & see if it finally completes for you.

I've not tried the workarounds suggested here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Script_busy_or_stopped_responding